Friday, January 9, 2015

I didn't post about this yesterday because I was exhausted but I arrived in Dublin yesterday! (08 Jan)

I left Orlando at 1.49pm local time then left Washington DC at 7.45pm local, arrived in London at 7.05am local time, left London then arrived in Dublin 55 minutes later at 9.55am local time.

I was expecting the three flights to be dreadful but they weren't at all.

From Orlando to DC:
Everything was great, saying goodbye to family at the airport wasn't as emotional. I got all of my crying out of the way at home before we left for the airport. I checked bags, went through to security and on to my gate. I had a half hour or so to burn before the flight so I tried to browse the web but the internet just wouldn't connect for some reason so I just read a little bit.

The flight itself wasn't too bad. Barely any turbulence and one of the smoothest landings I've ever felt. Plus there was an empty seat between myself and the other girl in my row.

From DC to London:
While waiting in DC I met 3 other students who were also studying abroad: A girl from FSU and two guys from U of Tennessee. They were studying in London and told me they planned to visit Dublin sometime in March. I regret not getting their contact info.

Our plane was supposed to depart at around 6.30 but didn't actually leave until 7.45 because the flight time to London was only 5 hrs 45 min and we would get to London waaaay too early. We were not allowed to land before 6.am local time. I got really excited when we were about to take off because again the middl seat in my row was empty but a man rushed through at the last minute and surprise surprise, was sat in our row. Oh well.

I must say the flight was pleasant. I wish there was more leg room but that's fine. I slept (or tried to) the entire way except when it was time to eat. Dinner was served at 9.30pm then 'breakfast' at 12.30am. For dinner I had a salad, corn, mashed potatoes and BBQ chicken plus a roll. For breakfast a simple croissant with butter plus some mixed fruit and orange juice.

Descending into London was MAGICAL. Lights were everywhere, the city looked so organized from the sky and row houses were everywhere (unlike in the states where everyone demands so much space). It was awesome. I think that was my favorite part of this journey was looking out and down to see all of that going on.

From London to Dublin:
Heathrow is massive. I'm thankful we arrived so early the airport was relatively empty. I'm sure it would have been absolute hell to pass through this airport midday. We went through security (and customs?) again before getting on the plane for Ireland. I had to explain where I was coming from, where I was going, for how long, what I was doing there etc... The bathroom was way too fancy and I felt like an idiot for trying to do simple tasks like lock the bathroom stall or figuring out how to dry my hands.

The plane ride from London to Dublin felt very home-y and warm. I got lucky again with having an empty seat in the middle. I don't have much to say about this flight because it wasn't even an hour long and I was asleep for all of it.

I was super excited to finally have reached partly because I was done plane hopping and also because I was finally able to go out and enjoy Europe.

So here I am, in my apartment kitchen/breakfast area writing this. I'll explain what I did in Dublin yesterday in the next post.

-SX

0 comments:

Post a Comment