Tuesday, December 2, 2014

Ok, I didn't get the Gilman scholarship blah blah whatever. A few weeks ago I discovered I completely missed the UCF International Studies scholarship deadline so I thought that was out the window too. Things weren't looking too hot (financially).

I got two e-mails back-to-back which made my week.

1) The UCF scholarship is back open. The deadline was extended and now I have 10 days to write, edit and submit my scholarship. $1500 is up for grabs

2) I'm FINALLY enrolled in Spring courses which means I can receive funding from my Duke Energy scholarship. Looks like I'm taking:

some Material Properties class...
Energy Systems Design
Emerging and Renewable Energy Technologies
Irish Studies
These aren't set in stone. I'm sure it'll change once I get over there (except Irish Studies. We kinda have to take that)


Pro Tip(s)
  • Search your financial aid's office regularly for scholarships. (Every time I check which is about every 2 weeks there are new scholarships listed)
  • Make a note of, bookmark, save etc all the ones that apply to you (or kinda applies to you). I'm not Hispanic but I apply for the those scholarships anyway, you never know. Same goes for NAACP awards. You don't have to be black to get 'em. From what I hear, many times there aren't a lot of applicants so the board doesn't get to be as picky.
  • Probably the most important one on this list: Have a monthly calendar and write in the deadlines of these scholarships. I have a giant monthly calendar on a wall in my room and that's how I stay sane.
  • Have a couple references. (Preferably ones who know about your plans to study abroad)
  • Go for the smaller awards. I tried for the Gilman scholarship because I thought the odds were okay. 29% of people were awarded this year. But honestly, you're probably better off going for smaller $500, $800, and $1000 awards. Students don't like putting in that much effort for what they think is a little bit of money. But whatever, that means higher chances for you.
  • Go for the essay scholarships. Sorta like the last tip about students not wanting to put in too much effort. So the chances of getting the scholarship is a little higher than say merit based awards. You get the idea, I hope.
For once, I am taking my own advice. Hopefully I'm awarded at least a couple scholarships.
-SX

0 comments:

Post a Comment