Monday, January 26, 2015

I'm taking four classes (or courses or modules. They're named differently here)

Irish Studies
Lecture for two hours a week. The professor is very enthusiastic and knowledgeable. It's only the second week but so far we're learning about geography in Ireland. Places to visit, how the North is different from the South. Pubs to visit (where the cheap ones are, the true Irish ones, the tourist traps). He said we will go into more serious stuff like religion, political issues and things of that sort next week.

Ally is in the class with me as well as Justus, Sascha and Rico. A couple of the guys from Bolton street are in this class as well. The class is offered at three different times in the week but we're all in the Monday afternoon session

Mechanics of Materials
This is actually the class Gareth (the exchange coordinator) teaches! I'm enjoying it. So far we're learning about stresses on thick walled and compound cylinders. This is the most mechanical engineer-y course I'm taking this semester. It's purely mechanical. I think it might be the most challenging too but I'm determined to stay on top of my work.

This class meets twice a week for lecture (2 hours each) and has a lab component. Labs are only 4 times a semester, however.


Materials Process and Properties
Probably my favorite class. I never really thought I'd like learning about materials science since I didn't really enjoy it when I learned it at UCF but I am enjoying it here. It's verrrry similar to the materials properties course that we take over at UCF but the lectures aren't nearly as boring. Maybe it's because the class is smaller and the professor is more engaging. I don't know.

Ally and Sascha are also in this class with me. The class meets twice a week for a total of 3 hours of lecture and has a lab component. We meet every other week for labs and use the same textbook as UCF (by McCallister)

I'm actually working on a paper for this class that's due tomorrow. Completely forgot it was due and went out all weekend instead of writing it. I need to make use of my calendar.

Engineering Management
This shouldn't even be called that, to be honest. Not once in the lecture did any of the professors (yes, two) mention the words engineering or management. For the first 30 minutes I thought I was in the wrong class. Perhaps business or finance but a) there were way too many guys b) I'd recognized some guys from my Mechanics of Materials class and c) I checked the timetable a few times to make sure I was in the right class.

The class only meets once a week for a two hour lecture. The first hour is some guy I can barely understand. I just copy everything off the board since I don't really know what he's saying. The professor for the second hour is a lady who speaks a little slower and is much easier to understand.  Anyway, I don't care for this class. It isn't engineering at all but more business and I have very little interest in that. I'm only taking it because UCF says I need to take four classes. But we'll see how it goes.

-SX


0 comments:

Post a Comment