Tuesday, February 3, 2015

30 January 2015 - Tradfest
I went to class and of course decided that I'm not staying in on a Friday night so I went out with Chris, Sascha and Justus for Tradfest! Tradfest this year ran from 28 Jan - 01 Feb. It's basically Ireland's largest festival for traditional folk music. We met at 8-8.30pm and already so many pubs were packed. The DIT Chaplain Alan suggested we go to Brogans or Palace Bar but we could barely move in the place so we went to the Old Storehouse (again haa) and listened to some cool Irish tunes.

Pints at the Old Storehouse


My flatmate Lorean joined us at the end of the night and we all went and caught up with Yoann and his flatmates in The Auld Dubliner where we talked about American football.

31 January 2015 - Chris's Birthday
Chris's birthday! Chris, Ally and a few other friends celebrated Chris' birthday with brunch at a very cute restaurant/bookstore called The Winding Stair. It was a little pricey, I think. Every one spent over 20 euros for their meal but it was worth it. I had a full Irish breakfast with the most amazing cappuccino. We stayed and talked and laughed for a couple hours then everyone parted ways.

Brunch at The Winding Stair


Food!

Service charge because there was more than 5 of us


On the way back to my flat I got caught in a protest. The citizens are being charged (or are going to start being charged...no one really knows) for water and they're not too happy about. Traffic in the city center was backed up so badly. It was madness.

Dublin protesters


Protesters marching along the Liffey


Later that day I was supposed to meet up with Yoann at a park before getting drinks but I guess we got there too late because the park closed (haha). So we met up with his friend Lee at a restaurant called Murray's near the Spire for some drinks (amazing Smithwick's there, by the way) and watched Gaelic football which made no sense to me. We were talking for quite some time about America, France, and S Korea (where Lee is from) and Lee said we're so expressive compared to where he's from and that it was a nice change.

He said in Korea everyone is in such a rush and that Dublin is a nice change of pace. Yoann told me that when the International students met for Irish dancing the first week he spoke to some Americans and hated pretty much every one of them. He told me 'I tried giving them a chance but they were typical Americans--they only seemed interested in themselves and not what other people had to say. I'm glad I met you. You're not like that'

That made my week.

-SX

0 comments:

Post a Comment